Re: PDF (was Re: mailing list)

Erik van Blokland <evb@knoware.nl> wrote:
> Other people on this list (Lee,
> Clive?) will be able to confirm this without explaining exactly how.

Yes.  Actually I already sent some mail to Todd Fahrner with some
slightly more specific details.  I am not willing to share these.
I will say that the Unix beta 3 of Acrobat is the lest secure that
I have seen.  It would be difficult to use Acrobat on Unix for more
than a few days without discovering that it actually gives fonts away.

> Perhaps the kerning info is missing as it is digested in the rest of the
> pdf document,

For an Adobe font, you can pick up kerning information by ftp from Adobe's
ftp server anyway...

> FontSucker could even be (perish the thought) a browser plugin.
Ha!  Actually I am thinking of starting an ftp site with all of the
Adobe fonts available that I can find in PDF files.  After all, Adobe
allows fonts to be embedded, and the reader licence doesn't say you can't
extract them, I think.

> Subsetting is a compression method, not a protection scheme.
Agreed!

--
Liam Quin, lee@sq.com         | lq-text freely available Unix text retrieval
Senior Technical Consultant   | FAQs: Metafont fonts, OPEN LOOK UI, OpenWindows