PDF (was Re: mailing list)

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 01:20:35 -0800
To: "Makray Family" <mak@usa.nai.net>
Cc: www-font@w3.org
At 9:33 PM -0500 11/7/96, Makray Family wrote:

> > Acrobat. Get Acrobat 3 set up with your browser and see the examples
>near
> > the bottom of http://www.killersites.com/3-pdf/ . Contrary to popular
> > belief, PDFs are often smaller than the equivalent material in HTML.
>
> 	You got to be kidding me?! PDF files are always aleast *200 times the
>size
> of an html page. Have you really seen a pdf file smaller than a html?

You're mistaken. Many PDFs are carelessly generated, but the format is not
inherently bloated. Yes, I've often produced PDFs of Web pages that are
much smaller than the original. Point me to 5 random URLs and I'll make 5
PDFs that are smaller as a whole.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com