Re: 3D Printing

Rigo wrote:
> This is really interesting. It show's that the right does not follow the
> materialization. In fact, copyright just works normally here, as there
> is a monopoly to produce instances. Once produced, the tangible
> instances are sold and property of the new owner, that has the right to
> re-sell the instance, destroy it or whatever...

JSE: Pretty interesting new application of DRM technology, if you think about
it --- applying it to the controlled rendering of a 3D model. For example, only
those who are authorized (for example, have paid) to physically render the model
can do so.

Once rendered, of course, the usual rules over physical things apply. Note,
however, that this does not necessarily mean that the "owner" of the property
won't or can't claim rights, even ownership in the rendered property. I could
imagine that the rendering could be done under contractual terms that claim a
restriction on the renderee's right to sale, for example. Used within an
organization, I would see claims of trade secret over the rendered property ---
the authorized holder of the rendered property, being under obligation to their
corporation, would be legally restricted in what they could do with the
property.

So 3D rendering would not necessarily be the free-for-all that you might
imagine.

John

PS: I've just finished reading Lawrence Lessig's latest, "The Future of Ideas:
The Fate of the Commons in a Connected World." So I'm not suggesting that the
rules I desribe above are desireable, simply possible and likely; market leaders
will always apply pressure to protect their monopolistic positions, and this
includes lobbying for new forms of intellectual property and other market
protections...