DOM 4: Trasnient Registered Observers.

From: Don Jordan <don.jordan@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 06:13:33 -0800
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
Hello There,

I just completed a new implementation of the DOM 4 in "modern" C++ for a
project at work. Consequently, I've been idiot testing the DOM 4
specification for the past few months. :)

There was one part of the specification that had me scratching my head for a
day or two: transient registered observers. It's not at all clear, from the
spec itself, what a transient observer does. When I found this thread, it
helped my understanding considerably:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2012JanMar/0069.html .  Once I
figured it out, I was finally able to implement the functionality.

Frankly, IMHO, the transient observer is a bit of a hack. I've done my share
of JavaScript development in the past. If I was concerned about observing
the contents of a subtree I just removed from the DOM, I would simply add
another subtree observer to the node I removed.  However, I'm not here to
debate the inclusion of this feature; if web developers find it useful, then
I don't have a problem with it.

I do have one request regarding the DOM 4 specification: the text needs to
have some sort of an explanation as to what a transient observer does.
Something similar to the email I cited above.  I think it would help future
implementers.

Regards,

Don Jordan