Re: Discussion on removing 'locale' from DOM3Events

From: Кошмарчик <garykac@google.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 14:02:43 -0700
To: "olli@pettay.fi" <olli@pettay.fi>
Cc: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, "kochi@google.com" <kochi@google.com>, "masayuki@d-toybox.com" <masayuki@d-toybox.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, Jianfeng Lin <jianflin@microsoft.com>
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>wrote:

> On 10/16/2013 08:44 PM, Travis Leithead wrote:
>

>> The current UI Events spec (https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/d4e/**
>> raw-file/tip/source_respec.**htm#widl-KeyboardEvent-**
>> queryLocale-DOMString<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/d4e/raw-file/tip/source_respec.htm#widl-KeyboardEvent-queryLocale-DOMString>)
>> defines a static
>> ‘KeyboardEvent.queryLocale()’ which will report the locale of the
>> configured keyboard.
>>
> The reason why .locale was added to key events was that one shouldn't be
> able to fingerprint user if user isn't even interacting with certain page.
> That issue hasn't gone anywhere, so why are we changing .locale?

|locale| is being punted to UI Events because it is currently not
well-defined. Simply defining it as "BCP-47" is not sufficient since we
need a particular subset of BCP-47 and we also need to handle some of the
extensions (e.g., to encode things like Dvorak layouts).

There is no reason for |locale| to block all of DOM3 while these issues get
settled.

But I do see problem adding queryLocale()

In all likelihood, only one of |locale| and |queryLocale| will survive in
UI Events. But whichever one does, it will have a properly defined set of
values so that we have compatibility between the various browsers.

-Gary