Re: Reminder: DOM L3 Events Telco tomorrow

Aside from the bugs (which I've been going through and picking off), I have
the following items to add:

(1) I've tried distilling our previous discussions into a proposal
document. We should go over that and identify any issues so that I can
update the spec. See point #2 for at least one issue to resolve.

(2) Desired order of beforeinput and compositionupdate events.
In the teleconf that I missed a few weeks back, there was consensus to have
beforeinput + compositionupdate + input.  When I wrote the summary doc, I
was unaware of this and wrote compositionupdate + beforeinput + input. We
should review this and make sure we're all in agreement here.
This event ordering depends on whether the DOM is changed before or after
compositionupdate.

(3) What event type is sent with beforeinput/input?
Previous discussions have assumed that input would send and Event, but
beforeinput needs (at least) a |data| attribute.
Should we create a new InputEvent type that is used by these events?
   Pros: The spec would then naturally describe them at the same time
(under InputEvent).
   Cons: Yet another event type.
If we don't create a new event type, which one do we use (and extend)?
Is there a better name for the |data| attribute? Note that CompositionEvent
already has a |data| field with a similar purpose.
   Pros: Both |data|s do roughly the same thing.
   Cons: Defined in 2 different places.
Is locale needed for beforeinput?
   It has text...
Is repeat needed for beforeinput?
   keypress had a |repeat| attribute, but how useful was it on the keypress
   We'll still have |repeat| on the keydown event.
What is the |data| value for beforeinput when DEL is pressed?
   Empty string? And if people want to trap DEL, they need to look at
keydown/keyup events?
In bug #22070: "And, it might be worthwhile to add "inputDevice" attribute
which indicates the beforeinput is caused by a key press or IME."
   Is this still worth considering? What's the use case?

(4) initEvent
Event.initEvent is the only initXxxEvent that is not deprecated.
To initialize an XxxEvent, you need to call both initEvent and
initXxxEvent, so it doesn't seem all that useful without the helpers.
I assume all this is intentional, but wanted to double-check.

(5) In Appendix G. Acknowledgements
Is there anyone missing who has contributed recently?