Re: Better event listeners

As an author, I very rarely need to subscribe to a single occurrence of an event.  The vastly more common case is to subscribe to a stream of events until some condition is met, then unsubscribe from the stream.

Since a future represents a single occurrence of an event, it can really only be used in the rare case, but not in the common multi-occurrence case.  But then I would have to choose to use a different API (Futures) for this rare case.  Why would I do that, when I could instead use the common streaming API and just unsubscribe when the event occurs?

RxJs has bindings to map events to observables, which is a much more natural fit since Rx observables represent a stream of events.  I use this mapping all the time.  In the rare case that I only want a single occurrence of the event, I just append  ".take(1)" to the end of the observable.

This is why I, at least, am not interested in the ability to map events to futures.

--
Brandon