RE: [D4E] KeyboardEvent.code and KeyboardEvent.queryKeyCap() are very strange spec

Regarding the process of:

>>That's not how I thought this process is supposed to work.  I assumed that the process was:
>>(1) Write a draft proposal
>>(2) Have at least one vendor implement it to identify issues
>>(3) Test, goto (2) as needed
>>(4) Get agreement and release final spec.

Reworking something as fundamental as key events with only one implementation seems like you need more than one vendor. I recall implementing key events in the DOM2 timeframe on both Mac and PC before it was decided they would be out of scope for DOM 2. The separation of key and char is pretty clear – and trying to predict at “keydown” time what “char” will be generated for a “keypress” is nothing more than a guess. I also recall running into similar issues supporting key and char in Internet Explorer for Macintosh, in part because although the concepts map, the platform aspects of how the browser gets the key input from the OS differs.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/EventOverview/HandlingKeyEvents/HandlingKeyEvents.html

The area of “command” shortcuts is handled differently on various platforms, and trying to tie into the DOM event stream might not be the best solution, particularly if any of the goal is to coexist with the UA platform’s model of exposing such functionality. On the high level, though, the browser knowing that “Expose a shortcut/accelerator key for ‘bold’ preferring “B” as the mnemonic might be enough information for a UA to expose the functionality without dealing with keycodes at all. If “bold” is defined as a keyword for some predefined set of operations, it might even be enough for the UA to also provide a voice shortcut for the “bold” command without any extra work.