Re: DOM 3 Events (and Modeling and Reasoning about DOM Events)

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Ben Lerner <blerner@cs.brown.edu> wrote:

> A bit of background: our research group at Brown has been doing a fair bit
> of work on the semantics of web programming, and at last year's WebApps
> workshop in Boston, I presented the results of our effort in formally
> modeling the dispatch mechanism of DOM 3 Events (
> https://www.usenix.org/conference/webapps12/modeling-and-reasoning-about-dom-events).
> After a conversation off-list, I was suggested to forward to this list a
> description of the main stumbling blocks we found.  Ultimately, there were
> two issues, one straightforward and the other more systemic.  (Note: These
> comments are based on the 04 Sep 2012 draft of the spec.)

I strongly recommend using DOM4, which has a much more precise definition
of the behavior of DOM Events.  http://dom.spec.whatwg.org/

Why the change in terms?  Then, HTML5 strongly distinguishes handlers from
> listeners (sec 6.1.6.1): handlers wind up registering the same listener,
> and the relative ordering of handlers and listeners are carefully defined.
> And that listener can never be removed; it can merely be made impotent if
> the event handler content attribute is set to null.

(I think you mean 7.1.6.1.)

--
Glenn Maynard