Re: DOM 4 naming "before" and "after"

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The names sound like getters, not mutators. Probably this one naming
>> quirk
>> is one that authors can get used to. But the more of these quirks there
>> are, the more cognitive load it is to use the platform. And the Web
>> Platform already has a lot of strangeness. I don't think we should be
>> spending our strangeness budget on making these particular method names
>> little shorter.
>>
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 21:37:11 +0100, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> Fair enough.

JQuery has specific design principles, one of them being brevity,
sacrificing readibility or introducing ambiguity.

However the baseline APIs provided by browser should be designed for
clarity. While it's optional to learn to use a library, it's not as often
optional to learn the APIs of the web platform.

Back on topic, the names "after" and "before" are too ambiguous. Could
they mean getAfter, isAfter, addAfter ? I just asked to add a verb to the
name. That's a good method naming policy.