Re: "DOM4 Events" Proposal (was: Spec proposals for Event constructors)

Thanks, Simon.

> I object to section 1.3 Feature Detection. Removing that section, or
> changing it so that it does not introduce new features or versions, would
> satisfy my objection. The HTML spec discourages use of feature strings and
> specs the minimal set of feature strings for HTML that are needed for
> compatibility. DOM4 forbids new specs to add new feature strings or new
> versions.
>
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/common-dom-interfaces.html#dom-feature-strings
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#dom-features

Agreed.

> One of the ideas with event constructors was not only to introduce the
> constructor, but also to get rid of init*Event() methods where possible. So
> ideally, e.g. the WheelEvent interface would not have the legacy method,
> since it's (I assume) not needed for compat with existing content.

Yes, we should remove init*Event() from the spec IDL. We can just note
"Note: As events have constructors, initEvent() is superfluous.
However, it has to be supported for legacy content.", just like the
spec of Event (http://www.w3.org/TR/dom/#interface-event).

Jacob: Would you please update the "..." parts in the IDL in the spec
draft? I think we can copy IDL attributes from the DOM3 event specs.

--
Kentaro Hara, Tokyo, Japan (http://haraken.info)