Re: DOM Level 2 HTML: Note about onsubmit is misplaced in HTMLFormElement spec (in enctype attribute rather than in submit method) (was Re: Minor formatting error in HTMLFormElement spec)

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> Dean Brettle wrote:
> >
> > In the spec for HTMLFormElement:
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#ID-40002357
> >
> > The following text should probably appear under the submit method
> > instead of the enctype attribute:
> >
> > <quote>
> > Note: The onsubmit even handler is not guaranteed to be triggered when
> > invoking this method. The behavior is inconsistent for historical
> > reasons and authors should not rely on a particular one.
> > </quote>
>
> I agree. I think fixing this would be quite important. The behavior of
> .submit() is causing lots of confusion. See for example:
> http://bugs.jquery.com/ticket/3115
> http://bugs.jquery.com/ticket/4930
> http://bugs.jquery.com/ticket/9704
>
> By the way, the description of the submit method reads:
> > submit
> >     Submits the form. It performs the same action as a submit button.
>
> I don't think the last sentence is correct. Using a submit input will
> trigger onsubmit. The submit method will not.

That spec is obsolete now; for a contemporary and more thorough definition
of the HTMLFormElement DOM API, please see the HTML standard:

   http://whatwg.org/html#htmlformelement