Re: www-dom vs public-webapps WAS: [DOM4] Mutation algorithm imposed order on document children

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 02:35:58 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
wrote:

> * Ojan Vafai wrote:
>> This confusion seems to come up a lot since DOM is part of
>> public-webapps
>> but uses a separate mailing list. Maybe it's time to reconsider that
>> decision? It's the editors of the specs who have the largest say here
>> IMO.

The reason for using it was in part that there were people there who were
working on dom and not on the (quite high traffic) webapps list which
discusses many other things.

> The confusion is not going to go away by changing the proper mailing
> list again

Right :S

> the case is a good example, since the commenter references
> the right document and that document says to post to www-dom, but he
> sent it elsewhere. Others will assume www-dom is the right list for
> various reasons

Like, because many DOM documents say so...

> and so you will end up with discussions on both lists.

Yeah. By and large (there are exceptions, and editors have to track them,
but that will always be so) the discussion has managed to sit on www-dom
for a long time.

> The main thing that "let's use some other list" does where participants
> are not very well synchronized is annoying people with "You posted to
> the wrong list!" mails. An option might be to merge them, but that may
> be a first for the W3C, so it's unclear that the infrastructure would
> support this.

It's probably possible. It is likely a bunch of manual work, and I doubt
it is justified.

cheers

Chaals

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan noen norsk