Re: [Events] A case where on* attributes are required

There are a number of workarounds for this problem. Another way you could
address this specific problem is to check whether the iframe has already
loaded before running adding the load handler.

That said, all these other ways are a bit unnatural and require careful
coding. jQuery has an API for this (http://api.jquery.com/live/) that works
really nicely in my experience. In our case we might want something like
the following:
document.listen(selector, eventName, handler)

I'm a bit torn about this because the API is really convenient, but it also
has performance implications (i.e. when do you selector match to find which
elements care about which events). I'm having trouble thinking of a way to
implement this that doesn't either make DOM operations or event dispatch
slow.

We could limit the performance impact by restricting to simple selectors.
But that wouldn't completely address the performance issues and it would
limit a lot of useful things you can do with this API.

Maybe it's OK in practice to do selector matching when firing events that
fire infrequently (e.g. load, focus, etc) and to selector match at DOM
operation time for events that fire frequently (e.g. mousemove, keydown,
etc).

I'm curious what other browser developers think. Could this be done without
significant performance impact?