Re: [dom] Mutation Observers

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:32 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> As discussed mutation observers would be best defined in the DOM. The DOM
> is discussed on www-dom@w3.org: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/**
> Public/www-dom/ <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/> (I bcc'd
> public-webapps just in case anyone missed this.)

Great! Thanks for doing this. I'm thrilled to push this feature forward in
the spec.

I think I now defined the last hook needed for mutation observers, "replace
> all". The hooks related to tree mutations are defined here:
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/**raw-file/tip/Overview.html#**
> mutation-algorithms<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#mutation-algorithms>

You also need to list mutations to attributes although it'll be quite
trivial given that we're not making prefix changes in setAttributeNS.

I'm not sure what the current status of mutation observers is, but one open
> question was whether we should special case the "style" attribute due to it
> being frequently mutated. Has any data been gathered on that already?

Yes, I think we want to special-case style attribute (exclude it by
default).

I have another question, if we expect a lot of mutations, should we split
> MutationRecord for the attribute/characterData versus childList case?
> There's a bunch of members that do not make sense for either of those.

What is the benefit of the split?

- Ryosuke