[DOM3Events] Oustanding issues (was: [DOM3Events] CR)

Hi Anne,

Talking with Doug this morning, it seems he didn't have a chance to reply to your mail below since he's been pretty busy. I've provided responses below inline, sorry for the delay!

Thanks,

Jacob

IE and Gecko match the spec. Opera and Webkit do not match the spec--but that seems like a bug.  I'm not sure why calling preventDefault() on one dispatch of an event should cancel the default action of a second dispatch of that event.  Furthermore, applications don't have the ability to reset this flag themselves. If implementations don't reset this flag for them, then there's no way to separate the default actions between multiple dispatches of the event (cancelling dispatch A always also cancels dispatch B). However, if implementations do reset the flag then the application can always elect to take into consideration the return value of dispatch A when performing the default action of dispatch B.

Whether D3E needs EventException was covered in the discussion for ISSUE-179 (http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/179).

>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2011JanMar/0066.html

The efforts DOM4 makes here are great extensions to DOM L3 Events.

>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2011JanMar/0067.html

I had difficulty testing in Opera (probably something silly I'm doing).  The spec indicates that calling preventDefault() should have no effect on non-cancellable events (therefore defaultPrevented is still false). But at least Webkit, IE, and Gecko have interoperable implementations that match the spec.

   var e = document.createEvent("Event")
   e.initEvent("test", false, false);
   document.addEventListener("test", function(e) {
  alert(e.defaultPrevented);
   e.preventDefault();
  alert(e.defaultPrevented);
  });
   document.dispatchEvent(e);

   e = document.createEvent("Event")
   e.initEvent("test", false, true);
   document.dispatchEvent(e);

>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2011JanMar/0068.html

I could see a future spec allow this given a good set of scenarios. DOM3 I believe DOM4 does this. But I don't see this as a requirement

>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2011JulSep/0122.html

Ah, yes, "may only be called" is a bit confusing. A clearer statement is "must be called"--which is the intent. Otherwise, if you don't initialize the event then you'll get an exception when you try to dispatch it. I think this is a worthy grammatical clarification, so I've updated the spec to be clearer.

>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2011JulSep/0131.html

Since this one's a bit longer, I'll reply separately on it.

> Furthermore given the normative changes that have occurred (e.g. to
> event.type) another Last Call is needed where I wanted to note the issues I
> noted elsewhere in this thread, regarding not using Web IDL normatively like
> all our other drafts if they are not addressed by then.

There has been a Last Call since the normative changes to Event Type:

Revision 1.189 made the changes to event.type
Revision 1.200 published the spec for the most recent Last Call

According to the CVS log, all changes since that Last Call draft have been editorial with the exception of Revision 1.204. However, that change was more of a clarification which matches all implementations.