Re: [DOMCore] ownerDocument of a Document object

Back in June I asked for clarification of the ownerDocument of a
Document object:

And Aryeh wrote:
> IE9, Firefox 5.0a2, Chrome 13 dev, and Opera 11.11 all say null.  I
> agree that this is obnoxious.  I wound up writing a helper function
> for my test suites that's basically function(node) { return
> node.nodeType == Node.DOCUMENT_NODE ? node : node.ownerDocument }.
> But it's not clear we can change it at this point.
And then the thread devolved into a discussion of mutation events... :-)

Anyway, the DOM 4 spec is now explicit:

> The |ownerDocument| attribute must return the node document
> <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-node-document>.
>

> The node document
> <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-node-document>
> of a document
> <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-document>
> is that document
> <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-document>
> itself.
>
> All nodes
> <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-node> have
> a document
> <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#concept-document>
> at all times.

The reason I'm reviving this thread is that we've implemented this, and
have discovered that having document.ownerDocument === document breaks
jQuery (1.6.4 and presumably other versions as well)  We're filing a bug
against jQuery, but I'm bringing this up here because I suspect that
this new data point might cause browser vendors to reconsider whether
they're willing to implement this change from the status quo.

     David