Re: [DOMCore] ownerDocument of a Document object

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:34 PM, David Flanagan <dflanagan@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Both Firefox and Chrome make the ownerDocument of a Document node null.
>
> The June 3rd spec just says:
>
> The ownerDocument attribute must return the Document node that the context
> object is associated with, or null if there is none.
>
> The meaning of this depends on whether a node is "associated with" itself.
>
> But the (new, I think) algorithm to ensure that two node are in the same
> document requires document.ownerDocument === document, or it will fail in
> the case of inserting a doctype into a document.

DOM Level 3 pretty explicitly says that document.ownerDocument === null

http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html#node-ownerDoc

However this was a part of the spec that I never liked, and I'd love
to change it. Are there browsers that set document.ownerDocument ===
document?

/ Jonas