Re: WebApps-ISSUE-178 (empty string and null event types): Implementations and DOM Core allow empty string and null event types [DOM3 Events]

On Tue, 10 May 2011 09:53:36 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Monday, May 9, 2011, Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> In recognition that implementations support null and empty string event
>> types and that DOM Core allows this, we accepted the change to D3E to
>> remove this restriction. I have removed the spec text in the exceptions
>> section which required
>>  an exception be thrown in these cases.
>
> Hmm. I only vaguely remember the tail end of this discussion, but
> wasn't the conclusion that it was better to let empty string signify
> an uninitialized event? Thus making empty string a not allowed name.
>
> The alternative is to force the event to hold some hidden state which
> indicates if it has been initialized or not. This is worse both from
> an implementation complexity aspect, as well as removes the ability
> for pages to check if an event has been initialized (I don't have any
> use cases for the latter, but it's a nice free bonus)

Some argued for that but DOM Core was then changed to have a flag -
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#initialized-flag

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software