Re: [DOM Level 3 Events] optionality of the capture argument in addEventListener/removeEventListener

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Sergey Ilinsky <sergey@ilinsky.com> wrote:
> There are modern browsers that made 3rd argument in the
> addEventListener/removeEventListener be optional. Is this a legal step?
> If I understand correctly, specification requires 3rd argument to be passed,
> thus the new behaviour not backed by the change
> in specification only destabilizes web as a platform.
> Personally, I like the behaviour, but cannot use it as long as not every
> browser does that.

Currently it does not appear to be legal based on my reading of the
latest editor drafts. However I would love to change that. It wouldn't
be a big change in the spec, just stick [optional] in front of the
useCapture argument, and it should be no problem as far as backwards
compatibility goes. And at least in gecko it would be trivial to
implement.

The only problem I can think of is that it means that people might
write pages that only works in newer browsers, however that is true
for any new feature added.

/ Jonas