Re: [dom3events] event overview - scroll

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 21:08:23 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 8/28/10 1:55 PM):
>> What is the advantage? As .detail means nothing and .view is useless.
>
> The advantage I see is a more logical and consistent framework on which
> to build future events, and easier for developers to learn.  In several
> of the event interfaces, there are properties that only have meaningful
> values for a subset of the events on that interface, but which are still
> grouped logically, so this has precedent.
>
>  From a developer and script library perspective, there may be reasons
> to treat UIEvents differently, and this makes it easy to detect that
> category of events (rather than reply upon a hardcoded list of event
> types).

This all sounds rather vague. I would rather have us not change the
interface unless a clear need is identified.

>> Just seems like additional complexity for no reason.
>
> Isn't any additional complexity is negligible in terms of implementation
> and performance?

Changes are not negligible.

>> It works differently for the Document object, yes. (I don't have
>> anything I can share in test form at this point.)
>
> Okay, thanks for the heads-up; I didn't realize this before, and it's
> probably the reason 'scroll' was listed as bubbling before.  I've noted
> this in the spec, in the event type definition and the event table:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#event-type-scroll

If this is supposed to be some kind of normative description, shouldn't
that be normative too?

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/