Re: how to get HTML page's flash objects' urls and flash widths/heights?

* Shawn Ching wrote:
>I am new to HTML/web programming and I have some newbie questions.

This is probably not the right place to ask this kind of question, this
list is concerned mostly with the standardization of W3C's document ob-
ject model. MSHTML programming questions would be better placed in e.g.
the microsoft.public.inetsdk.programming.webbrowser_ctl newsgroup if
that still exists or you can torture yourself using their web forums,
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/threads
might be the right place, if you are into that kind of thing.

>I want to use IE (IE7 or IE8) to visit a set of urls that contain flash
>contents. The gobal is to extract those flashes' urls and their
>widths/heights. The flashes can be rendered by javascripts or by any
>possbile methods like embed, param, or whatever possible. Right now I am
>using IHTMLDocument2 interface as a start-point, and thinking about
>using the DOM tree.

Objects that implement the MSHTML IHTMLDocument2 interface are nodes in
the DOM tree. Most likely you will indeed have to traverse the document
which such objects represent to walk over all the nodes and check if
they represent embedded flash content, the "object" and "embed" elements
would be of particular interest as you point out. You would check the
attributes of those elements and their children to see if they trans-
clude flash content, and if so, retrieve the URLs you are looking for.
You will likely also have to determine the Base URL of the document to
turn relative addresses into absolute ones.