Re: XForms and Deprecating DOM* Events in DOM3 Events

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> One rationale he explained was backwards compatibility with XForms content;
> he was not satisfied with my response that XForms can continue to use
> 'DOMActivate', and that DOM3 Event even specified it more clearly
> (especially in relation to other events).  I reasoned that deprecation (and
> possible future removal) from the DOM3 Events spec does not mean that XForms
> cannot use it; XForms can still reference DOM2 Events or DOM3 Events going
> forward.  However, Steven felt that this would harm XForms, referencing an
> event type that is at risk of removal from the shared events defined in the
> DOM3 Events spec.  I noted that DOM3 Events is only intended to define
> events that are shared between multiple technologies, and XForms is the only
> technology that relies on DOMActivate.

Why would it harm XForms? Note that weather DOMActivate is in the DOM3
Events or not doesn't affect how it will be defined to fire by specs
like HTML.

My personal opinion is that what harms XForms much more than anything
else is that it uses 'DOMActivate', an event that few developers web
developers know about, rather than 'click'.

So if the goal is to help XForms authors, which I assume it is, then
XForms should simply recommend 'click' to be used (with some migration
path to transition from the current 'DOMActivate' usage).

/ Jonas