Re: [dom3events] glossary - host language

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:16:03 +0200, Charles McCathieNevile
<chaals@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:51:48 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> Is host language really the right word? DOM Events is much more an API
>> than a language I think so it would be more natural to speak of an API
>> host or some such, if we need to have a concrete term for it at all.
>> (For CORS I named it "CORS API specification".)
>
> Except that it often goes into a language, so I think the word is
> reasonable... (i.e. not perfect, but good enough to avoid discussing
> further). I don't think API is a particular improvement...

If DOM Events is the "origin language" as the specification suggests I
think it is. Also considering XMLHttpRequest, Web Workers, Server-Sent
Events, etc. are not in the business of defining languages and the HTML
and SVG specifications both do define APIs I think it might be worthy of
some more consideration.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/