Re: convertKeyIdentifier (was: "keyIdentifier" Sucks)

On Sep 22, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Hi, Anne-
>
> Please change the subject line if you change the subject...
>
> Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 9/22/09 10:51 AM):
>>>
>>> Scratch that last one--just noticed
>>> DocumentEvent::convertKeyIdentifier...
>>
>> Should we really have such a method on document though? And what is
>> the
>> reason for using U+.... in the first place. Can't we just always
>> return
>> the Unicode scalar value?
>
> The Unicode scalar value is the "U+xxxx" format (the code point).
> You might have meant the character value.  We have already decided
> that the character value (if it exists) will be the attribute value.
>
> There are potential use cases for getting each of the different
> formats (for example, for Unicode code points, making sure that a
> character is in a certain range, or presenting an advanced virtual
> keyboard, or signaling non-printing diacritics).

If you get a string of the character, you can very easily get the
unicode value of the character as a number in almost any reasonable
programming language. It's actually harder to parse out of the U+xxxx
format. The conversion is only useful if there are keys with a U+xxxx
equivalent where the name is not just that very unicode character.

Regards,
Maciej