Re: Moving Form Events from DOM3 Events to HTML5

Hi, Ian-

Ian Hickson wrote (on 9/22/09 5:57 PM):

> Right now, the text in DOM Events for when events fire is woefully
> inadequate if we're to get full interop.

You've made that claim before, and in response I've improved the
specificity of each event, detailed in many cases (not yet all) what the
values for each attribute are for each event type, enumerated the order
in which related events fire, and made other improvements.

None of the browser vendors or other implementers involved in
contributing to the spec have voiced similar concerns.  Obviously, if
they have need for greater detail, I'm happy to provide that.

>For example, with 'submit', it
> didn't even say if the event was async or sync,

Does this apply to all events?  Please provide a pointer to the relevant
definitions and a couple of examples where you have provided adequate
detail, and I'll go from there.

> let alone exactly where it fit into the submission model.

Because that's host-language specific... and that's one of the reasons I
suggested the HTML WG take on tho form events, to be defined in HTML5.
I recognize that those event specifically have particular details that
need better definition within HTML.

>  Same with all the others.

If you give detailed, actionable review of a few of the elements, I will
be happy to satisfy those comments, and extrapolate for the other
events.  I'm afraid you are not going into sufficient detail for me to
make specific changes.  It may be that when you look closely at the
spec, you find that more detail is provided than you thought, but if
not, I'm happy to oblige.  We all want interoperability, and we have
strong commitment from the browser vendors to implement DOM3 Events, so
I want to get it right.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs