Re: Moving Form Events from DOM3 Events to HTML5

Hi Doug,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi, Mark-
>
> Thanks for your feedback.  I'm glad to see the XForms folks participating
> more actively.

Mmm...not sure what that has to do with anything...I'm glad to see the
sun is shining here in London. ;)

> Mark Birbeck wrote (on 9/22/09 10:53 AM):
>>
>> I would vote for keeping these in a general-purpose DOM spec.
>
> But they aren't general-purpose... for example, they are meaningless in SVG.

I don't think that's a very good definition of general-purpose. :)

They could be general-purpose in any forms-related technology.

> HTML has very specific meanings and behaviors for them, so it has to
> redefine them anyway.

That might tell us more about their original definition, then.

> It's better to have them defined in one place than in two, and the logical
> place to define them is where they are always applicable.

Not really. If they are defined in an HTML spec, then it implies that
they are not usable elsewhere. Putting them in a more 'general' spec
would encourage more reuse.

>> As you point out, XForms uses its own events, but really it should use
>> the events you mention, and may do in a future version.
>
> In that case, it could refer to HTML5 for the definitions, or create a small
> dedicated spec for form-related events which extends DOM3 Events.  It should
> also contain an FormEvent interface the inherits from UIEvent, and the set
> of forms-centric event types.

But wouldn't there then be the possibility of contradiction with the
HTML5 events?

As you just said, better to define things in one place, rather than two.

>> Also, you can imagine other scenarios, such as voice markup, making
>> use of these event names, independent of HTML.
>
> Conceivable, but VoiceXML [1], for one, doesn't even use DOM3 Events, much
> less those events.  If it needs those events in the future, it would
> probably be better to have a dialog about which events all forms-related
> technologies should share... I don't think those three would be the right
> choice, or the only event types.

Certainly, but once they go inside HTML5 it's difficult to get them out again.

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Birbeck, webBackplane