Re: remedy for click event

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 02:07:10 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> For reasons I've already stated, I respectfully disagree with your
> interpretation of "deprecated", and I don't intend to apply it in the
> case of DOM3 Events.  While I am writing the spec for both authors and
> implementers, the implications of deprecation most directly impact
> implementers.  I already use the term "deprecated" in what I see as a
> specific and pragmatic approach throughout the spec, and unless I hear
> from implementers that they disagree with that use, I'm not going to
> change it.

FWIW, I do find it somewhat confusing. I'm mostly familiar with this term
due to HTML4 and there the end result was that UAs had to implement the
deprecated features. This might not be the meaning HTML4 gave to it, I
wouldn't know, but that is what it effectively meant.

I haven't checked the new DOM3 Events draft yet, but if not done so
already, maybe explicitly indicate for each deprecated feature that it is
also OPTIONAL for UAs to implement.

Having said that, while such an approach certainly works, I would
personally prefer it if in the end we had a specification that does not
include the optional features or explicitly excludes them from certain
conformance classes, or something like that.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/