RE: click event considered broken

By this argument, we'd also need a keydown2, keyup2, ..., etc. Why should a pointing device be considered more important than a keyboard? (Or any other input device?)

You raise an interesting security consideration though not a new one. Script-dispatchable events have been the means of working around pop-up blockers and the likes for some time. It might be worth exploring how to guarantee that clicks are from "genuine" sources, though I initially cringe at a "click2" event :)

-Travis