Re: Proposal: addKeyListener and removeKeyListener Methods

Hi, DOM3 Events folks-

Based on the feedback to this list, I've removed my proposal for key
listeners.  Since there is implementer and author interest, though, I
hope we can address those use case in a later spec.

Reply inline...

Maciej Stachowiak wrote (on 9/13/09 6:10 PM):

> On Sep 13, 2009, at 2:56 PM, Travis Leithead wrote:
>
>> I tend to agree with Maciej regarding getting the spec into shipping
>> mode.
>>
>> However the use cases are good. An additional use case worth
>> considering is being able to filter based on character inserted into
>> the DOM [or set of characters]--rather than the method used to cause
>> them to appear. Something like that could provide for a less-verbose
>> DOMCharacterDataModified replacement.
>
> That does sound like an interesting use case, but it also seems quite
> challenging to design and specify.

Can you go into more detail why you think it's a particular challenge?

>I'm still inclined to table new
> features for now and get what we have wrapped up quickly. Once DOM3EV is
> in CR, we can start work on DOM4EV.

There's a sweet spot of feature completeness between feature creep and
missing functionality.  For example, I think that the Composition Events
interface was really necessary to complete the keyboard and text input
model.

Trust me, I want to ship this spec more than you do, and I have been
putting in quite a lot of effort toward that end.  But I also want to
make sure that it meets the needs of today's authors (since the original
draft was over 6 years old).

There's a real risk that the current climate of browser brinksmanship on
spec support will chill before deferred features are implemented,
leaving webapp authors out in the cold again (like we were for 5 years
or more, back in 2001 and on).

Right now, we have active participation and commitment from Microsoft
and Mozilla (and hopefully Opera, Google, and Apple as well) to
implement DOM3 Events... but it remains to be seen if that will also be
the case for DOM4 Events.  I certainly hope so, but just in case, let's
try to get this one right.  I think it's getting very close to Last Call.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs