Re: Marked addEventListenerNS and removeEventListenerNS At Risk

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi, DOM3 Events folks-
>
> (BCC to groups potentially affected.)
>
> I have marked addEventListenerNS and removeEventListenerNS at-risk in the
> latest Editor's Draft of the DOM3 Events specification [1].  This means that
> we are gathering information on whether we can safely remove these methods
> from the specification.
>
> Apparently, these are not yet implemented in desktop browsers, so there has
> been a call to reexamine their inclusion in this specification.  I
> personally suspect that there is not much of an implementation burden
> regarding these methods, but I would welcome implementer feedback on the
> matter.

The burden is non-trivial since you need to add an extra parameter to
not just the code that stores event listeners, but basically to all
event related code. For example see all initXEventNS methods that it's
causing.

But the biggest problem to me is that there seems to be very little
value in implementing these. As far as I know we've received little to
no requests from developers to add these.

Finally, it doesn't seem like namespaced events even solves a real
problem. If you want to avoid naming conflicts you can call your
events "com.example.www.myEvent", or even
"http://www.example.com/myEventsNameSpace/applications/mail/emailReceived".

/ Jonas