Re: Deprecating DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut (was: DOMActivate vs. Click)

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 23:05:25 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Taking a look at the current state of implementation [1], and seeing the
> similarity of function between IE's focusin/focusout and
> DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut, I have now included focusin/focusout, and
> deprecated DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut in favor of those event types.  This
> is a tentative decision, but it seems logical to me; any comments are
> welcome.

There are no focusin and focusout events. At least, I believe last I checked onfocusin in SVG mapped to an existing focus event. If anything we should use focus and blur.

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote (on 7/21/09 5:13 PM):
>
>> Unfortunately, Web compatibility requires sending a "click" event for
>> non-mouse-driven activations. In particular, it is a common practice to
>> give an <a> element or an <input type="button"> element an onclick
>> attribute and the page author expects it to trigger even for keyboard
>> activation. This practice precedes the existence of the DOMActivate
>> event and remains common. Authors almost never use a DOMActivate handler
>> instead.
>
> I have not deprecated DOMActivate, because it seems different enough
> from 'click' to me,

How is it different? As far as I know they are identical in function.

> and is widely referenced enough that I think it
> should be retained (though it has a terrible name).  Firefox has
> implemented it, so I'd be curious to here them respond to Maciej's
> claims that it breaks existing Web content.

That was not the claim.

Also, what does deprecation mean here?

--
Anne van Kesteren