IME events

Hey guys,
[+Bono Hironori from Chromium]

I've just had a lengthy email discussion about IMEs with Nakano Masayuki of
Mozilla. I think there's a few pieces missing so far in diagrams [3] and [4]
linked in the previous email. There's a few points to discuss (hopefully in
detail during the telcon) but I'll just raise a couple now, to see what
thoughts people have for starters:

1) Non-key input (clicking an option in an IME menu, speech input, etc)
2) TSF (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms629032(VS.85).aspx) for
Windows involves requiring locking of the text whilst the IME makes changes,
then unlocking. I'd like to see the web app have some control over this. For
example, to prepare a section of the document for change, and have a
contract between the app and the browser about what parts are OK to change
and what aren't (otherwise it's back to relying on mutation events if the
app can't be certain about which parts of the DOM the browser will touch and
which it won't). This is an example of something fairly complicated, I
wonder what other kinds of IME APIs there are that have similar complexities
- I'm no expert.

On a higher level note, the main thing I'd like to see is the web app being
able to preview and have control over any changes the browser wishes to make
to the DOM in a contentEditable region. That way mutation events won't be
needed at all for those use cases (they are barely usable now anyway,
because they (a) do not give much information about user intent - did the
user just type, or paste, or hit undo, who knows? and (b) they are mostly
after-the-fact, always non-cancelable, etc).

Cheers,
Dan