Re: HTML5 dependencies on DOM3 Events

Hi, Ian-

Okay, I'll do my best to prioritize these items.  Reply inline...

Ian Hickson wrote (on 6/1/09 7:37 PM):

> HTML5 has the following dependencies on DOM3 Events:
>
> * Mutation events
>    There are a number of parts of HTML5 where what HTML5 should say depends
>    on what happens with mutation events in DOM3 Events. (My preference
>    would be for mutation events to be either replaced wholesale or made
>    asynchronous, so that they are queued on the event loop instead of being
>    fired as the changes happen, since the latter can result in serious
>    complexities and makes it very hard to maintain invariants during the
>    execution of algorithms.)

I also prefer this, but have heard that it breaks some existing code,
and doesn't do what some authors want.  I'll to to come to consensus on
the best option here.

> * Window object interaction
>    Browsers do weird things with the Window object. I believe this is all
>    defined in HTML5 now, but it would be nice to have hooks in DOM3 Events
>    that mean I can just say something like "The Window object is a event
>    dispatch tree root" or whatever and have it just work.
>
>       http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#events-and-the-window-object
>
>    (Note that there is complexity around 'load' events here; some 'load'
>    events are exempted from the Window object.)

I'll look into this.

> * Defining when user interaction events actually fire
>    There is currently no spec that defines when events like 'click' and
>    'keydown' and so on actually fire. (There are some constraints defined
>    on those events, but no actual requirement that they fire.) I expect
>    this would be a separate spec than DOM3 Events, but it is pretty
>    important and would help in making HTML5 self-consistent. Right now I've
>    mostly just guessed at what such a spec would say and tried to keep
>    within such boundaries (e.g. in the definition of Interactive Content).
>
>       http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#interactive-content

I don't understand what you're asking for here.

Are you asking for the spec to say something along the lines of, "The
'click' event is fired when the user presses a button on the pointer
device, or otherwise activates the pointer in a manner that simulates
such an action."  Or something more abstract (or more concrete)?

Please give me a short, explicit example of what you're looking for, as
the passage in the link above didn't clarify it for me.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs