Re: [dom3core] WRONG_DOCUMENT_ERR

On Dec 5, 2005, at 8:40 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> > However, historically browser-based DOM implementations have let you
> > reparent elements freely, and there are in fact web sites out there
> > that create an element in one document and then insert it into
> > another.
>
> Maciej, what particular websites are these?  The reason I ask is
> that I was under the impression that IE/Windows actually throws
> WRONG_DOCUMENT_ERR as specified; if it does, it's rather odd that
> sites are doing things that would cause it to throw...

I tested, and it does appear to throw.

I think the sites where we ran into this were ones that had separate
IE and Mozilla code paths, and Safari ended up in the Mozilla code
path and therefore had to follow the Mozilla quirk. Given this, we
would probably fix it in Safari if was fixed in Mozilla. Originally
we had the conforming behavior on this. But there's a lot of sites
out there that think there are exactly two browsers in the world.

Regards,
Maciej