Re: [dom3core] WRONG_DOCUMENT_ERR

On Dec 2, 2005, at 7:17 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Ray Whitmer wrote:
>>> Firefox has the implicit adoption behavior. I am surprised you
>>> don't know.
>>
>> Expect me to continue to respond to your ongoing jabs with my own
>> questioning of your own knowledge, if I continue to respond at all.
>>
>> I am relatively certain Firefox does not have implicit adoption in
>> some cases and therefore benefits from exceptions being thrown, as I
>> have explained several times now.
>
> How about coming up with test cases the latest version of FireFox
> passes
> or fails that back up either claim (or both)? These test cases can
> then
> be added to the DOM test suite and the discussion would be
> considerably
> more interesting.

No, because it involves a fair amount of setup and work and it was
already conceded that Safari also has such cases as well.  If I were
being paid to represent a company at W3C or concerned with this sort
of issue, I might expend the effort.  Test Suites are inherently so
incomplete that it is not clear that this particular test is a
particularly useful thing to prioritize. The fact that not all
implicit adoptions succeed was obvious to anyone who has dealt with
HTML and XML DOMs in the same browser.

While browsers fail to support implicit adoption in these cases, they
also likely fail to throw the specified exception, and no one would
be really arguing to fix them as a high priority and there are likely
more glaring incompatibility areas which must be overcome to portably
use the non-inter-adoptable DOMs available in most browsers by even
current specifications that greatly overshadow this one thing I might
test.

As long as the answer is "whatever IE decides to do" what would be
the point?  When what we have is taken more seriously, perhaps there
will be sufficient motivation for someone who benefits from it to
write more tests involving non-HTML DOMs.  I have moved on due to
lack of progress in XML and DOM that seemed essential for my own use
of it, making it hard to justify the burden.

Ray Whitmer