Re: L3 Core: "this", "reference" and 'given" nodes muddled in description of compareDocumentPosition and related constants

Joseph Kesselman writes:
 > As an alternative to "other node", we could also consider "parameter node"
 > or "node passed as a parameter"... a bit more verbose but avoids any
 > question about the intent.

Couldn't the name of the parameter be used?  This seems an easy way to
keep the text both simple and clear.

 > (I'd almost be tempted to render "this" in boldface when we're using it as
 > a keyword to signify the-node-which-is-performing-the-operation, but I
 > don't think I can see the WG on that idea.)

Ugh.  It would have to be defined somewhere as well; not all languages
prefer "this" as the name for the object on which the method is being
called.  (Of course, I don't know of any really good way to refer to
that object with having a defined keyword of some sort in the text.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation