Re: Clarification on EventTarget removal for DOM Events

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 11:40, Alexander J. Vincent wrote:
> I've noticed an issue regarding DOM Events, Levels 2 and 3, which is not
> clear in the specifications.
>
> For event capturing and bubbling, if the actual target (or an ancestor node
> of the actual target) is removed or replaced, the specs do not state the
> correct behavior of the Event object.  I'd like a clarification on whether
> the Event object should continue to propagate, should bubble later, should
> throw a strict warning or DOM exception, etc.

It is defined in the Events specification, even if it is in the capture
phase description but still applies for the entire event propagation:
[[
The chain of EventTargets from the top of the tree to the event's target
is determined before the initial dispatch of the event. If modifications
occur to the tree during event processing, event flow will proceed based
on the initial state of the tree.
]]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Events-20001113/events.html#Events-flow-capture

Philippe