Re: Last call comments on DOM3 Events

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 12:17, Steven Pemberton wrote:
> [lots of comments regarding the draft that I'm trying to address by rewriting it]
>
> 1.2.4 Event cancellation
> "Some events are specified as cancelable. For these events, the DOM
> implementation generally has a default action associated with the event."
> What does 'generally' mean here. Which events that are cancellable do not
> have a default action?
>
> "An example of this is a hyperlink in a Web browser. When the user clicks on
> the hyperlink the default action is generally to activate that hyperlink.
> Before invoking a default action, the implementation must check for all
> event listeners registered to receive the event and dispatch the event to
> those listeners."
>
> Sneaky! This is a change from DOM2! DOM2 doesn't define when a default
> action gets invoked. Suppose an implementation implements default actions as
> a special class of handler on a node, that get executed after all
> user-defined handlers on that node (which is perfectly allowable according
> to DOM2.) All of a sudden those implementations will break for DOM3. So this
> is a non-compatible change.

No, we didn't change from DOM2:
[[
Before processing these events, the implementation must check for event
listeners registered to receive the event and dispatch the event to
those listeners. These listeners then have the option of canceling the
implementation's default action or allowing the default action to
proceed.
]]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Events-20001113/events.html#Events-flow-cancelation

We rephrased the paragraph following your own request but we didn't
change the semantic associated with default actions and preventDefault.

Philippe