RE: onClick handlers vs DOMActivate

>> I find the mixing of the event models confusing at best. For example,

>> button.click() should result in the firing of both onClick and
>> DOMActivate events, right? When do these events fire relative to each

>> other, and when does the default action occur?

>June 27, 2002: Philippe Le Hegaret
>The following clarification seems appropriate:
>"The activate event occurs when an element's default action is
activated, for instance, thru a mouse click."

	This more specific example clarifies the issue:
	If a script were to call button.click(), and that resulted in
the following events:

		1. DOM 0 button::onClick handler is invoked.
		1a. action is performed
		2. DOM 2 button::DOMActivate event is invoked.
		2a. action is performed.

	then the button's action would be executed twice unless the DOM2
handler tracked whether it
	had already been called. That makes backward compatibility
difficult since the DOM0
	handlers are added at attribute processing time, before DOM2
handlers may be registered. It also
	makes it more difficult for authors to handle both event
mechanisms.

	How much consideration was given to the possibility of using the
registration of
	a DOM2 handler as a means to prevent calls to the corresponding
DOM 0 handler?
	That could address all of the ambiguity.

Brad Pettit
Microsoft Corp.