Re: What is the meaning of the DOM ECMAScript binding?

--- Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com> wrote:
> > >getBrowserType();  // some function to determine browser type based on
> > >navigator object
>
> Which is an utterly prepostrous idea that leads to nothing but errors,
> and severe barriers of entry to new browser, who either have to spoof
> their user agent string (as Opera does.) or not have support for legacy
> content.  Please do not promote this stupid technique and complain to
> anyone who does, object detection is the appropriate method, it's more
> reliable now and supports future browsers which browser detection
> doesn't.

Jim. Could you elucidate what you mean by 'object detection'. I am not familiar
with this term. I am all for browser-neutral code, but my my example was merely
to illustrate that that we're not all out of a job and can continue to code, no
matter what the objects are named by a vendor :). And in most cases the vendors
use the same convention.

Cheers, Neil

=====
+44 7866 462220           (mobile)