Re: Control over HTML DOM

     I have a  problem.....I want to capture the user selections/clicks
     in the browser....and  find out the >corresponding node in the DOM
     and then take control of it. The user may click on any control or
     just static text on the page. How can this be achieved..???

You may not realize it, but you're asking two seperate questions.

1) How to capture events in the DOM. If your DOM implements the DOM Level 2
Events module, you can register a capturing Event Listener on any node
which will recieve the event before its children do. (The event itself says
which node it was actually sent to.) If that listener wants to do so, it
can prevent further processing of the event; see the discussion of "event
cancellation" in that chapter of the DOM spec. So installing a capturing
listener at the root element (for example) would allow you to catch,
process, and discard events for any node lower in the document.

2) However: If your application performs its own event handling _outside_
the DOM's framework in addition to using DOM events, we have no way to
access or control that activity. So how complete the capturing will be
depends in large part on how your particular browser was written. You may
find that you have to talk to the browser authors about your needs and how
best to address them

______________________________________
Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research

______________________________________
Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research

---------------------- Forwarded by Joseph Kesselman/Watson/IBM on
03/12/2001 09:57 AM ---------------------------
Delivery Failure Report

  Your              Re: Control over HTML DOM
  document:

  was not           amittr@mahindrabt.com
  delivered
  to:

  because:          Enhanced Mail System Status Code (RFC1893): .0.0

What should you do?

   You can resend the undeliverable document to the recipients listed above
   by choosing the Resend button or the Resend command on the Actions menu.

   Once you have resent the document you may delete this Delivery Failure
   Report.

   If resending the document is not successful you will receive a new
   failure report

   Unless you receive other Delivery Failure Reports, the document was
   successfully delivered to all other recipients.

   D01HUB03/01/H/IBM, D01ML243/01/M/IBM