Re: ECMAScript binding for EventListener

--- Johnny Stenback <jst@netscape.com> wrote:

> David Flanagan wrote:
>
> > In the Level 2 DOM, the ECMAScript binding for the
> EventListener
> > interface is simply a function reference.
> >
> > While this is very convenient for JavaScript
> programmers, it sacrifices
> > the power that comes with treating EventListener
> as a true object.
> > Specifically, the current binding allows us to
> register only functions
> > as event handlers, and does not allow us to
> register object methods as
> > handlers.  (Mozilla currently invokes any event
> handler function you
> > register as a method of the event target.)
> >
> > I'd like to propose that the next edition of the
> specification broaden
> > the ECMAScript binding so that EventListener may
> be either a function or
> > an object.  If an object o is registered, it must
> have a property named
> > handleEvent that contains a function reference.
> When the appropriate
> > event occurs, this function is invoked _as a
> method of the object o_.
> >
> > As a trivial example, I ought to be able to write
> code like this:
> >
> > 	element.addEventListener("click",
> > 		   {
> > 		      message: "Hello world",
> > 		      handleEvent: function(e) {
> alert(this.message); }
> >                    },
> > 		   false);
> >
> > Anyone have thoughts about this?
> >

> For the record, this already works in recent
> versions of mozilla (and
> Netscape 6.1 beta).

Yes, it actually does.  Though something like:

function EventCaptureClass()
{

}

function addEventListeners(element)
{
element.addEventListener("click",this.singleClick,false);
}

EventCaptureClass.prototype.addEventListeners =
addEventListeners;

function singleClick(e)
{
   alert(this); // this = element, not the instance of
the singleClick method.
}

EventCaptureClass.prototype.singleClick = singleClick;

would be greatly served by David's suggestion.

-Dylan Schiemann
http://www.sitepen.com/
http://www.dylanschiemann.com