Re: DOM Core Level 3 questions

Joseph Kesselman wrote:

>      "normalizeNS - are there examples of unnormalized trees
>      and normalized trees to reference?"
> A namespace-unnormalized tree would typically be one where some or all
> nodes use undeclared namespaces, or use prefixes which aren't bound to the
> node's namespace, or have namespaces but don't have any prefix at all.
> These are all legal states for the DOM, since namespaces are officially
> just "syntactic sugar" (per the Namespace Recommendation), but they're a
> complication that some application code may not want to deal with -- just
> as successive Text nodes are legal in the DOM but may be a nuisance for
> some applications to process. Running normalizeNS() will reconcile these by
> changing/creating/defining prefixes in some reasonable manner.
>
> The algorithm currently described in the Working Draft is one proposed
> "reasonable manner", included for discussion. As you can see by the many
> open issues, a significant amount of discussion is still required.
>

> ______________________________________
> Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research

Joseph:

So how do we deal with the following scenarios:

1. We have a prefix without a namespace URI declaration.  Do we remove
the prefix?  Do we create a bogus namespace URI?  How do we manufacture
declarations?

2. How do we handle ambiguous nodes - children of a namespace node that
may have ancestors from another namespace.  I assume the most direct
parent wins.

Most of the other situations are easy except for the comment about how
to handle read-only nodes.

Any thoughts?  How far along is the Xerxes reference implementation?

-MA

--
Michael Amster              mamster@webeasy.com