Re: setting Node.prefix

Garret Wilson writes:
 > Right; I'm assuming (although I didn't state it) that one sets the namespace
 > URI first.

  The namespaceURI attribute is read-only in DOM Level 2.

 > such an element. It does say that, "For nodes of any type other than
 > ELEMENT_NODE and ATTRIBUTE_NODE and nodes created with a DOM Level 1 method,
 > such as createElement from the Document interface, this is always null." But
 > if this implies that the prefix cannot be set, is there an exception thrown,
 > or is the new prefix simply ignored?

  I would expect to get either and NAMESPACE_ERR or a
NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR here.  Perhaps *which* I should expect
should be clarified in the recommendation, but the "always" leads me
to think it can't be changed.  Since I can't set the namespaceURI
attribute, that seems reasonable.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>