Re: HTMLSelectElement should not have a "value" attribute

Adam Dingle wrote:

> In both the DOM Level 1 and Level 2 specifications, the HTMLSelectElement
> interface has a "value" attribute.  I believe this to be an error, as
> evidenced by all of the following:
>
> - The SELECT element in HTML 4.01 has no "value" attribute.
> - The Netscape JavaScript documentation does not list a "value" property
for
> Select objects (see
> http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsref/select.htm ).
> - The HTML 4.01 specification states that when a form is submitted, SELECT
> elements' names are paired with OPTION elements' values in building the
form
> data set; there is no mention here either of a "value" property for SELECT
> elements.
> - The description of HTMLSelectElement's "value" attribute in the DOM
> specification is hopelessly vague: it reads "the current form control
> value".

The value property is very usefull for getting what is selected in a
<SELECT>. I do agree that the spec is vauge but I think that should be fixed
rather then removing the property entierly.

The two cases that I thing need specifying/clairfying is when no element is
selected (can only occur when size > 1) or when more then one element is
selected (can only occur when multiple is set).

/ Jonas Sicking