Re: Attr: Tokenized attribute values.

> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 13:55:14 -0700
> From: bbrodie@savagesoftware.com (Blaine Brodie)
> Subject: Attr: Tokenized attribute values.
>
> Some clarification please.   In the DOM2 spec of December 10, 1999,
> section 1.2 describing the Attr interface [p.57] contains the following
> paragraph:
>
> "In XML, where the value of an attribute can contain entity references,
> the child nodes of the Attr node provide a representation in which entity
> references are not expanded.  These child nodes may be either Text [p.66]
> or EntityReference [p.71] nodes.  Because the attribute type may be
> unknown, there are no tokenized attribute values."
>
> I don't understand the meaning of the last sentence.  Does it mean that
> attribute values MUST be atomic?  Can anyone provide a clearer explanation
> and possibly illustrate the meaning with an example?

We decided to add (and link for the paragraph) the following definition
in the glossary:

tokenized
 The description given to various information items (for example, attribute
 values of various types, but not including the StringType CDATA) after having
 been processed by the XML processor. The process includes stripping leading
 and trailing white space, and replacing multiple space characters by one.  See
 the definition of tokenized type.

Philippe