[Moderator Action] Re: DOM2 Events are badly broken

Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> Raph,
> I understand your irritation and will make sure that your comments get
> reviewed.
> This said, simply stating that the current draft is broken isn't quite
> appropriate. As a matter of fact, the current draft (well, the latest
> internal draft at least) does fulfill the requirements we've been
> working with. Your problem is simply that they do not cover your
> requirements. Now, again, I will see if there is anything we can do
> about that.

I apologize if my language was not appropriate for this mailing list.
I'm glad you understand the intensity of my concerns and that they will
be considered.

While I understand what you're saying about the fact that my
requirements differ somewhat from the ones stated in the DOM2 draft, it
doesn't do much to dispel my concerns. Slavishly following buggy
requirements is one of the surest paths towards overly complex
specifications with limited functionality, which in my opinion the
current DOM2 draft represents.

I don't think I'm asking for an obscure or specialized feature here.
It's actually rather difficult for me to imagine how the current event
propagation with multiple listeners could be useful for _any_
application. And implementing Model/View _would_ seem like a rather
natural thing for something advertising itself as a Document Object
Model.

Anyway, I'm grateful that the concerns were heard and that there will be
at least an attempt to see if the spec can be fixed.

Thanks,

Raph