Re: Cut/Paste from one document to another

John Bradley wrote:

> I, too, had been planning to use the DOM as the basis for software
> development that was based on XML, but not in a browser-context.  I
> have also been disappointed to see that a number of XML "things",
> including (of interest to my application) efficient linking between
> elements connected by means of IDs and IDref attributes, do not seem
> to be anywhere under discussion.

Actually, we've discussed this many times and we really want to address
this in DOM Level 3. The problem for now is that doing this requires
knowing an attribute is an ID. This information being part of the DTD,
it is not currently addressed by the DOM. Once, we've done the DTD
representation, this should no longer be a problem.

> I can, of course, extend the
> definition myself to meet my needs, but this seems such a pity, for
> the reason Stephen Savitzky notes above.

I agree it's too bad, but that's all we have to offer for now. We simply
can't address everything at the same time and we have to prioritize
things.

> I confess that I know nothing about "how things are done here" (!).

Well, to make it short:

The W3C is a consortium that gathers more than 350 member companies.
Anyone of them can propose a new activity, on agreement a charter is
written and typically a Working Group is created, with representatives
from interested member companies, and tasked to achieve whatever the
charter sets as the goals. The most common result is a specification
that goes through various steps, including releases both to the
membership and the public. Once the Working Group is happy with, the
spec goes through a final review from the membership, based on which the
Director decides to make it a Recommendation.

So nothing happens just like that and everybody gets a chance to have a
say. Even you!

> Nonetheless, I'd be interested in knowing where, and how, decisions
> are made about what specific parts of the XML spec are recognized in
> the DOM.

The situation should quickly improve on that front since the W3C should
soon have a recommendation called "XML Information Set" that defines it.
See http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset
Even though for historical reasons it comes after the DOM Level 1, the
DOM is based on this.
--
Arnaud