Re: Cut/Paste from one document to another

"Stephen R. Savitzky" wrote:

> I don't recall seeing anything in DOM level 2 (not DOM 2.0) that changes
> _anything_ in level 1.

I surely hope there isn't anything like that indeed, because we
certainly don't want to break backwards compatibility.

> It's all a bunch of additional interfaces that (in
> my opinion) still aren't particularly useful outside the scripting
> environment that the DOM is intended for.

Scripting? I'm not sure what you mean. Independently of your programming
environment DOM Level 2 introduces some important new pieces such as
support for namespaces, to only name one. This may not be useful to you
but it is to many others.

> The DOM is most emphatically NOT a general-purpose, easily-implemented,
> least-common-denominator interface for SGML.  It was never intended to be
> and, as far as I can tell, never will be.

This is definitely correct. Our charter only lists HTML and XML as our
target languages.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors  -  W3C, DOM Activity Lead  -
http://www.w3.org/People/Arnaud